Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Me, Perry Alexander W.

I know I have not introduced myself to you formally and in details. Some of you may be curious to know as to how I get to where I am today with the most loving mom and dad in the whole world.... Well, come closer and read on !!!

My story may sound like many others. I was a rescue dog.... Not until my former parent took me and my brother to a local shelter and left us there, though. Sounds sad, doesn't it? Nobody knew a true reason why my former parent did that (the people at the shelter didn't have any records on that)....Well, my brother was luckier than I was because he got adopted after only a week at the shelter. As for me, I was just finished my 2nd week at the shelter when I first met my 'most loving' mom and dad....

I remember it well....I got so excited as I was chosen to be one of a small group of dogs to go to an adoption event at a local PetSmart. Let me tell ya, you can't run away from what is destined for you.... I was destined to be there that day because mom and dad would be there that day, too!!! It was a Valentine's adoption weekend (see how special it was!! it's not just and ordinary adoption event!!!)..... So, there was lots of love in the air....And it's love that brought mom and dad to me!!!

Let me tell a little bit about my mom and dad. They had thought about getting a dog for a long time (over a year or longer).... Mom is always a dog person even though she had not had a dog of her own. Dad grew up with a few dogs and had always thought about getting a Basset Hound. When mom was introduced to the idea of having a Basset, she looked online and fell in love with every photo of Bassets she could find. Yet they had not got to the point where they actually went and got one..... Now, you may get even curious why they ended up with me, a Dachshund mix.....

Like I said earlier, we were destined to be a family..... Even though mom and dad had wanted to have a Basset, they had a second thought.... Mom is a tiny person and dad was not sure how she could handle a dog that eventually would grow to be as big as 60 lbs (I can very well understand dad's concern. You would too if you got to see my mom in person. She is only 94 lbs!!). So, they reconsidered a small to medium kind of dog such as Brittany, Jack Russel, and Dachshund.... :D They looked online for a reputable breeder for those breeds. However, they were not seriously thinking about getting one soon. They were taking their time......

As fate had it, mom and dad stopped by at PetSmart for that Valentine's adoption event!!!! They just wanted to look at dogs. But I was there looking cute and friendly and sociable. Mom got hooked by my charm and personality first. She just fell in love with me right there!! I was perfect in a lot of sense despite being a mutt.... Dad liked me a lot, too. Unfortunately, mom and dad needed some time to think (it was for my best interest, though).... So, they filled out a form and decided that they would call back in a few days to see if I was still available for adoption...

Well, the rest was history, as you know. Mom and dad came pick me up at the shelter on Feb 19, 2009. I just came out of surgery (they removed my balls!!) a few hours earlier. Anyway, mom held me so gently and I could feel her love and affection. We rode in dad's car to a pet store for some shopping. DAd and mom got me a lot of stuff: a new crate, a huge bag of doggie food, bowls, toys, treats, shampoo, and brush. Wow, I am a very lucky dog, I thought to myself!!!!!

My first day at my new home (with mom)


That is how I get to where I am today.... I still have a lot more to share. Later.....

Have a good day, you all.

P.A.W.
xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment